Sunday, February 7, 2016

Let's Review! Perfect Blue

As promised a brand new let's review segment is back and today I am going to review a very classic animated film entitled Perfect Blue and it is directed by Satoshi Kon. I mentioned this movie not too long ago in my last Egg Tray post. This movie still hits me to the core, so I really want to share my thoughts on this. Let's get started. Also, I will maintain my streak of giving spoiler-free reviews, so you don't have to worry about giving away the entire thing. Here we go.

Plot

blog.alltheanime.com
Okay let me break it down for you; Mima leaves her Pop Idol career and takes on a new career path as an actress. As she struggles into this whole image change as a much more mature and provocative icon, Mima gradually grows scared for herself as she gains a stalker and a couple of death threats for transitioning into an actress. 



torrents.st
The plot seems really simple but it is actually a very mysterious story. And I think that's the best thing about this movie. It was able to turn something so simple and very mundane into a very thrilling and even scary. You can already tell what's going on with Mima thanks to its dialogue. But the air of mystery maintains its wavelength throughout the story, so it just keeps you guessing and guessing until the end. I wouldn't say the constant guessing you will experience in this film is even worth it, because it will still keep you questioning. And no, I do not think the story is not too complicated to comprehend which is another thing that I appreciated about this film. The mystery plot is very consistent. And the emotion in this film can get very unpleasant. The scenes of Mima trying to adjust to her new career are really intense and its intensity is meant to match what she really felt about the situations she had to deal with and you are able to feel that. This is where the thrill element comes in and it was done splendidly in this movie. I was able to feel what the scenes were meant to express. But I have to warn you, it may not be the good kind of thrill for everyone because the story also dealt with very serious topics. There were images of what the entertainment industry could be like, rape culture, and what can really go on through person's head when she is pressured and is forced to do things that she never really wanted to do. And these tiny blocks were able to work together in this movie.

Characters

Tumblr
Unfortunately, you do not really grow to care for the main character, but you will get terrified for her. One of the main questions that came out in my mind when I was watching this was, "Is she going to be all right?" because everything that was going on in this movie was affecting her really terribly. The film is mostly focused on point of view and that is that of Mima's. It was really great to see what the world of entertainment looked like through her eyes. Not to mention really scary. The fear and paranoia of Mima felt so convincing and so real that I eventually felt that. Another reason why the movie felt so real was because the characters also seemed real. I like how there are random fan boys gossiping about Mima in random stalls where her magazines are, because they were talking about how Mima was doing as an actress. It's not really a spoiler, because these parts serve as an exposition to keep the viewers at their toes. It is also very clever to have it done in that manner because Mima was part of the Media World, and people talking about famous actors would normally do that in random areas. The other characters involved in Mima's life were there for just support; they were all just black and white. I thought it really suited the story very well. Considering the growing fear Mima was having throughout the story, it was very important for her to know if there was anyone she could trust. So the characters are simply either friend or foe, or at least in the perspective of Mima. In general, the movie was able to keep many parts of the story simple and that was a good thing because the plot was very heavy with mystery, and it was important for it to have a certain balance.

Music


The music suited the movie really. It sounded very eerie, which adds to the thrill and horror vibe it's trying to emit. This score is one of the most creepiest in the entire soundtrack and it is entitled, "Virtual Mima". Masahiro Kumi was able to give a really great score that compliments to this animated film. I personally liked it because it ties to the movie very well. 

Art

Tumblr
www.yourfaceisa.com
nenufaresefercescentes.blogspot.com
Honestly, a part of me wished that the animation was not too detailed. Because the details in this movie were so traumatizing...in a good way. Everything about the art was so good and realistic-looking. But it felt too realistic so when something terrible comes out, I end up peeing in my pajamas. One of the most incredibly chilling scenes was the one where she had to shoot a very provocative scene. I'm just going to leave it at that, because it was frightening as hell and I don't want to say much. Another thing interesting was the movement. If you look closely at how Mima's idol group, "Cham!" performs, you would be able to notice that there is irregularity in their performances. Apparently, it was left like that to portray a much more realistic performance of pop idol girls and it was mind-blowing for me because I never thought of it that way. But this movie has a lot of amazing shots. This movie does not really have that much glamour like most animated films, because everything it portrayed as they could be in real life.



This story blew my mind in a good way and in a bad way. So I am going to give this movie five golden eggs. I think this show is a masterpiece, everything about it almost felt real. Sometimes I wish it didn't because it can get too scary.



Do I recommend this film? Of course. If you're looking for a well-animated show with a very mature and mind-boggling plot, then I highly recommend this especially if you're into thrillers or anything horror. But I warn you, it's very explicit and it is definitely not for people who are not used to watching violence in any form. But it's still a great movie to watch. That is it for my review and stay tune for more "Anime" movie reviews ahead. Till the next post~


No comments :

Post a Comment