Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Scrambler's List: 10 Things I Don't Understand About Romance!

toylab.blogspot.com
Valentine's day is around the corner and I'm assuming you're either going on a date or two, or you're preparing yourself to watch Deadpool. Or maybe both. And to commemorate such a lovely event that we, for some reason take so seriously, I'd like to share my thoughts on things I don't get about romance. Frankly, I do not consider myself a very romantic person. I find feelings and those random sweet gimmicks you would normally find in a 90s chick flick, very stressful and even troublesome. So I'd like to highlight some more on those. Just a warning, this is entirely my opinion on certain things so if you get slightly butthurt on my view about romance, you can justify what you think about it in Disqus or on my Facebook page and I will be more than happy to consider what you have to say. But this is just an opinion, not the stone tablet that contains all the ten commandments that you are expected to follow. I'm just a 21-year-old nerd who is able to observe what romance looks like at a very certain distance. I also have my many friends to thank for this post. Hahaha. 


loveweddingsng.com
1.) I don't understand the commotion of expecting your groom to cry on your wedding day.
A lot of my friends (and if you are, please forgive me for being a prick on this) agree that having your future groom cry the moment you walk down on the aisle is the best thing ever. Some say that they will freakin' hit that future groom if they do not react the same way. I have nothing against weddings and the emotional attachments to it, but I do have something against the girls who are so passive-aggressive about what they expect from their future grooms. Because I think there are many ways for girls to know how much their guys love them, and them crying their eyes out is just one of them. There's no fundamental law saying that it is a sure sign that the groom will love you for all eternity if he cries while you walk down in the aisle. For all we know, he might me be very frightened by the idea of commitment.

2.) I don't understand why texting back is still a big component to romance.
In the Philippines, I think it's safe to say that it is easy to spot the ones who are taken. They text a lot and it is very likely that they are texting their significant other about everything. Now there isn't really anything wrong with that, but I've noticed these kinds of factors in the relationship usually lead to so many dramas. If the love of your life does not text back, it becomes weird, strange...even suspicious. Then that's where the jealous and clingy monster displays all the worst-case scenarios in your head and you become frazzled and paranoid. I don't understand why there are still some people in a relationship who can't recognize how the importance of texting back has become the root of petty quarrels and the nourishment of everything that is dark and ugly in every soul. Unless you're in a long-distance relationship, having the "he has to call/text back" syndrome as your only assurance for the romantic relationship you have is just sad.

3.) I don't understand "#RelationshipGoals".
Why would you base your ideal love story on someone else's? Look, nothing wrong with having standards but basing it on trivial things such as something that you saw on Facebook is pretty superficial because everything that you see with a hashtag is most likely glamorized. Whatever happened to waiting and being surprised with what kind of love story you're about to have? Because I think the best things that usually happen in life are surprises. So instead of being "envious" over someone's post of luxurious gifts they got from their lovers and commenting with hashtag-i-want-your-love-life-so-bad, try to scroll down or look away from the screen. Because the love of your life cannot be seen in the Youtubers proposing online or the random memes tell you how to live your romantic life. 

4.) I don't understand why "hugot" is a good thing or even funny.
This term is usually related to reminiscing to the times when you were heartbroken or rejected and suddenly making a joke out of it (or at least that's how I was able to understand it), which can be amusing most of the time. Simply it encourages people to become more bitter than they already are. If you actually google the term, "hugot" it means "pull out". So for people who are still coming up with hugot lines just because they were rejected, I suggest you pull out and let.it.GO. There's a difference between learning from the past and bringing it up. 

5.) I don't understand douchebags are still considered ideally romantic.
Apparently many shows and film still think douchebags are still great romantic partners. Well I have friends who dated douchebags and I don't see them anywhere near the fairytale ending...oh wait they're not because they already dumped those douchebags because... well, they're douchebags. Why would you go for someone who won't respect anyone or anything? Why do you think people like that deserve your love? Well in my opinion, they don't. I think everyone deserves the best, but books and movies tend to tell you otherwise because the only perk to dating a douchebag is that they're essentially hot. 

memegenerator.net
6.) I don't understand playing the love game.
And no this does not pertain to sexual intercourse. Remember the times when your friends tell you to play hard to get or to wait a few minutes before texting back? After much contemplating, I realized how many unofficial rules romance had and it is ridiculous. Does it add to the "sexual" tension? Well it most certainly does, but is it always a good thing? Sometimes playing the game can be confusing and it can even add to anxiety or it heightens paranoia. If there's any standards I have for my future significant partner, I'd like us to be very direct with each other because we are human beings who are capable of rationality and comprehension. Who needs hints and mixed signals when you can always vocalize what you want to say?

7.) I don't understand why having a romantic life is a goal.
I understand that there are people who aspire to have that special someone, and that is cool. But I don't understand why society is so in your face about it. I see it on TV, computer, and even in songs. You see the same story over and over again, and you know what is going to happen in the end. The funny thing is, viewers still buy it. Most people create content on romance for maximizing profit, but what they don't know is that they're encouraging many people, especially young people, that this is what they should go for. This is the life they should have and people can't help but be convinced by that and it kinda sucks. I'm one of those people waiting for the media industry to let those pinoy love teams come up with other themes that are not really romantic and still make it look good. But then again, that's a challenge because that's what everyone wants now.

8.) I don't understand people who create mental images on what their first kiss, date, wedding will be like.
I get it, people have the right to think whatever they please, but it still doesn't change the fact why I don't understand why people entertain those kinds of thoughts. These imaginations tend to heighten expectations and when those mental images do not happen in a specific period of time, they end up disappointed, hurt, and even more bitter about the idea of romance. Hence the trends of "hugot" and "this-is-what-I-expect-from-my-future-boyfriend" meme. Believe me, I've witnessed this story happen a million times to many people.

weheartit.com


9.) I don't understand "this-is-what-I-expect-from-my-future-boyfriend" memes.
How on earth are they romantic when they are mostly just a list of expensive stuff that you expect a man to pay for? A boyfriend or a girlfriend is a person, and not some walking wallet that you can use whenever you see a cute puppy on Instagram. I don't see how this is considered a "goal" or a motivation to get into a romantic relationship. If the only aim is to go on a date is to feed on your materialistic side, might as well alternate these memes into career-oriented goals because most of the things you want should mostly come from your own income.

10.) I don't understand why we need to a celebrate a day just to love.
Why do we dedicate every fourteenth of February to so much romance and love? Isn't loving something we do everyday? Isn't giving a hundred and one percent of our love something we should do everyday until we die? Cue the term commitment, folks. 

And those are the things I don't understand about romance. If you do have some answers to those things, feel free to answer them by commenting. I hope your enjoying your weekend, whether you are single or taken. Till the next post~






No comments :

Post a Comment