Monday, April 20, 2015

The Egg Tray: Paano Ba To?! Once Upon a Time, and More!


It is that time of the month again where I discuss what I'm currently into and I've got so much to share!

Instagram
Bianca Gonzales-Intal (right) and I (left) :)
First I would like to talk about books that I am currently reading. The first one is totally unexpected. It is entitled, "Paano Ba 'To?!" (How to do this?!, in English... I think) and it is written by Bianca Gonzales-Intal, a very well known television personality and blogger. It was pretty interesting because I've always admired the way she handles herself and her career. She's not one of those famous people who hog the spotlight and when I met her on the day I got the book (which was a random school event, by the way), she is so down-to-earth and so simple. Hearing her story increased my respect for her. The book, however, is something I do not usually read. It is a self-help/inspirational piece of literature and I honestly never imagined myself reading something like it. So it was a brand new experience for me and I suddenly became excited to read it. Basically, the book targets mostly young Filipino girls. The chapters are divided into different aspects of life such as love, friendship, fashion, etc. In this book, you will see pieces of advice from experts, her friends, family, and other Filipino showbiz personalities. It is so great to read this during my past time. It's been a very long time since I heavily felt the presence of the author in a book. All the pages are not just creative and very artsy, but it had Bianca written all over them which I appreciate a lot. So thank you again for writing such a great book! Please write another. :)

totalteenfiction.blogspot.com

Another book I have been reading is a sequel of the book that I've been reading last month. It's called "Vortex" by S.J. Kincaid. As I've said earlier, it's the second installment to the Insignia series. And so far, it is one of the greatest Dystopian (?) science fiction stories I've ever read. The development of the characters so far are just so interesting; I've never encountered a main character who is very complicated. I thought the previous heroes I've encountered are messed up, but this is the real deal. I definitely recommend this to people who are into young people going into war and trying to change the world because I think this series covers the entire package. It may not have much hot men or burning romance, but the plot itself will take a huge grip on you. I do not want to reveal much because I really urge everyone reading this post to read this book. Every character is well-written and it is so straight to the point. Furthermore, I think a lot of people will love Tom, who is the protagonist of this story because I think he represents everything a young person is. Insecure, tormented, demented, curious, full of himself, and many more. Just read it guys, you won't be disappointed.

www.sky.com
Now let's move on to films! Well not really films because there aren't any that completely grasped my attention. However, there is another Studio Ghibli Film that I really enjoy and it is called From Up On Poppy Hill. The plot is very simple. It's about this young girl who raises flags every morning and these flags are actually a decoded message for her father, who is already dead in this movie but she still raises them every morning hoping for some miracle. Then it turns out, someone at the sea was actually answering back to her flags and she learns this by reading a poem in the school newspaper that is about her and her flag-raising activity. Apart from that, the school had an issue regarding this building where all the clubs (and all the members are boys) are being held. The authorities planned to shut it down and replace it with a new one, and this made the students take action in order to save the building they have. These two issues somehow become connected because the central message of the story is about connecting to the past. And that for me, was very intriguing. I enjoyed mostly how the students really worked together to save the club building and since this is a love story, I love the chemistry between the two main characters.

tvline.com
I tried a new TV series this month and it is called Once Upon A Time. I know, better late than never. It is about Emma and her son Henry, facing this mysterious town called Storybrooke. It may seem like any other gloomy town, but in reality it is a cursed place where all the Fairy Tale characters are trapped in. And the best part is that they don't remember who they were before Storybrooke. And the entire town is ruled under the instigator, who is the Evil Queen from Snow White. And yeah you guessed it, she totally did this because she was this mad at Snow White. I've always liked Disney, so I guess this is why I was immediately drawn by the series. I already finished the first season and so far, I like it. I can't wait to get my hands on the next seasons.



The rest that I enjoyed this month are just a bunch of Youtube videos. The first is by Geek and Sundry and they have this segment called Craft Lab by Greg Aronowitz, where Anna Akana is a featured Youtuber. All they do is create awesome geek-related things out of very unusual things. My favorite project of theirs was Sonic the Hedgehog made out of chicken bones, and yes it is featured in this very post as we speak. I am so impressed with how they actually pulled it off. The materials they used seemed like they're out of the question, but after making it, I end up being amazed.

Downvids.net
The next two are Youtube series. The first is Riley Rewind by Ray William Johnson. It features, again, Anna Akana as the lead and the story is so compelling. It's about Riley, a girl who has the ability to go back in time and she tries to use this power for good by saving this particular person from committing suicide. The story may seem a little bland to most, but what made the entire series so beautiful is the script. All the words were heartfelt and they all screamed inspiration. And in that moment, I swear my respect for Anna Akana got an upgrade. Finally, the last is called Carmilla. It is created by Vervegirl TV and it is based on a Gothic novel under the same name. The story starts with Laura, an average journalism student who just posts Youtube-like videos online about her journalism adventures. And these so-called journalism adventures started when her roommate started to go missing and a girl named Carmilla randomly pops in and becomes her new roommate. Again, I do not want to reveal much because what is great about this series is the suspense at the end of each episode. A lot of things happened in each episode--which are each in a span of at least three minutes--and everything becomes so hard to keep track off. I love the concept of just random vlogging, the script was really good, and the acting is well-delivered. I highly suggest this if you are into dark, Gothic, forbidden romances like Twilight, because this series shows so much more than that.

Buzzfeed.com

Wow, now that's a lot of favorites. Till the next post~


No comments :

Post a Comment