Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Fangirl Moment! "Shadowhunters" series adopted by ABC Family

Source of photo
Last year I posted that The Mortal instruments will be turned into a series. And it is finally happening. ABC Family just announced that they will take on the high-end series entitled, "Shadowhunters". Now the title has really great ring to it, but there are still so many questions that need to be answered. Who are the cast? How much of the story will they keep and delete? Will they include the incest and the other controversial themes the entire series entail? Will they change it up more? Will it turn into a flop?

According to an article by The Hollywood Reporter, Constantin Film will be involved in the project, with Ed Lecter as the executive producer. Not much is revealed about the series itself and there is still no word about who is going to be part of the cast.

I don't know much about the ABC Family and the series they produce. However, as far as I'm aware, they also make movies meant for kids and families. It gives movies and shows to Disney, for crying out loud. In other words, I haven't seen them take on a project that involves adult-like plots yet (maybe we can give Once Upon a Time, an exception). If you do know, please let me know. Because for now, I am not confident about ABC handling the entire thing because I was hoping for HBO or at least, CW, because I've seen them execute shows that are beyond abstract. And The Mortal Instruments has a lot dark themes that cannot be easily explained to younger audiences. Plus the reading audience of the series are purely young adults, or at least that's what I observed. And that kind of conflicts with the target audience, ABC intends for the Shadowhunter series. I understand that they want to attract older viewers (and by older, hopefully they mean someone ranging from late teenage years to mid-adulthood), but families? Really? And if Disney somehow wants to become involved with this, then we are doomed. However, I hope they prove me wrong. Like, if they can stay true to the story, bring in fantastic actors with actual acting skills, and offer a fair amount of fan service, then I will be more than glad to say that my doubts were too much. Let's just see how this will play out. And I pray it will turn out well.

Till the next post~



No comments :

Post a Comment