Monday, August 11, 2014

OTPs that I Tolerate

There are couples that we ship till the ends of the Earth and there are also canons we do not approve at all. But there can also be ships we rate as, "okay". These are the couples from random fandoms (haha, that rhymed) that I actually tolerate. I don't really love them as much, but at the same time I don't really hate. I'm sure you've experienced that whenever you watch or read any of your own fandoms, right? And if you disagree with the content of my post, then that's fine. Not everyone has the same taste. So let's get started. 

WARNING: The following post contains spoilers. Read at your own risk.

1.) Aang and Katara (Avatar: The Legend of Aang) 

Source
We all knew that from day one, they were going to be the it couple. Although romance has been subtle in this show, most fans can't help but ship Katara with other male characters--particularly Zuko. But I have to admit, they make a pretty decent couple. Aang is the childlike wonder while Katara has a motherly nature. Quite unusual but very compatible, I must say. And if you think about it, they have a very harmonious relationship all throughout the series. Whenever Aang goes Avatar mode, Katara is always there to calm him down. In other words, they complement one another. So it is not surprising if they had an everlasting marriage (as implied in the Legend of Korra). I think what makes them less interesting is that there weren't too much complications between them. Sometimes, it's the reason why we love a certain couple so much; the obstacles they have to face keeps us to the edge of our seats. Unfortunately, Aang and Katara didn't show much of that. Their development was pretty much smooth sailing. Sure, there were hints of jealousy here and there, but it wasn't enough to trigger the feels. Zutara had a bigger chance to be a much more interesting couple because they had a little spice, or a complication. They hated each other at first, and Zuko is much more aggressive compared to Aang. Imagine Katara calming--cooling him down--and let's see if that scene will make you squeal or not. So yeah, Aang and Katara's relationship was simple and pleasant… but it was too simple and pleasant. 

2.) Jace and Clary (The Mortal Instruments) 

Source
No it's not really because of the assumed incestuous relationship. Call me a sadist, but I enjoyed the struggle they had in the first three books. It was depressing, but it somehow drove me to read on. But when they finally became a thing and then City of Fallen Angels came out… yeah. Let's just say there was too much passion between them.

Sure, they had another obstacle to face, but Clary kinda reminds me of Anna from Frozen. A little annoying but too stubborn. My only problem with her is that I am not sure where her priorities lie. She's a lover and a fighter, but sometimes I wish she should just shut up and calm down for a minute. She can be too intense and her emotional state tends to overwhelm me. As for Jace, I still find it hard to believe that he fell for Clary in just a snap. But at least he explained that at City of Lost Souls, which I find very satisfying. For a couple, their passion is off the charts (but hey it's YA Fiction. What could you ask for?).  Basically my only issue is their compatibility. They just have too much similarities, and there's not much to add up to their chemistry aside from passionate make-out sessions and cheeky arguments. Both of them are stubborn, both have a temper, and both are actually too emotional (even if they won't admit it). If you think about it, them together will be too chaotic. But then again, that's what brings out the feels between these two right? Perhaps it's also another reason why I tolerate this ship; they're just another typical couple and they live in a world that does not really approve the both of them together. But at least there's a decent reason: they're just too explosive. 

3.) Oliver Queen and Laurel Lance (Arrow) 

Source
Yes, rejoice Ollicity fans! I ship Oliver with Black Canary! Haha, I'm kidding. 

The series keep on telling us that Oliver will forever love Laurel and Laurel will forever love Oliver. But that's kind of hard to believe when there are other eligible single ladies in the series. Not to mention the chemistry they emit whenever they have at least one scene with Green Arrow. But let's face it: Laurel Lance is not entirely a sucky character. In fact, she's pretty badass. She's a lawyer who managed to make guys shit their pants the moment she starts intimidating them. Laurel is a strong woman and I can understand what Oli and Tom (may he rest in peace) see in her. I mean, she's managed to face actual danger a lot of times and she was able to roll with it even though she was completely aware about the possibility of dying! Put her next to Mary Jane Watson, she's the real deal. However, that's the thing. I see her as an independent woman who doesn't really need a guy. She becomes a much more impressive character if she can be badass in her own way. And again, there are other female characters who are much more shippable with Green Arrow in my opinion. If ever he still chooses her in the very end, all I can do is simply nod. They would make a good couple, because I think Laurel can handle anything that Oliver has to go through because she definitely knows how to keep her shit together. 

4.) Batman and his ladies (DC)

Source
We've seen Bruce Wayne with Thalia. We've seen him with Selina Kyle. We've also seen him with Black Canary and Wonder Woman. But in the end, I still can't find a permanent ship for him. I'm not saying that he deserves to be forever alone. In fact, I want him to settle down with the right girl. But then again, he's the Batman and his enemies are dangerous and psychotic and they're not afraid to break you physically, mentally and emotionally. If you think you can handle that kind of commitment, then I salute you. But the fact that he can't have one permanent girl kinda proves that his Bat identity is hindering him from having a social life. 

5.) Ron and Hermione/Harry and Hermione (Harry Potter)

Source
The best thing about the entire series was Rowling's definition of love. It's unconditional, and it is seen between family, friends, colleagues, and even among enemies. I've noticed we fans tend to ship our hardest when the fandom's romance department is at its lowest. And ever since Rowling confessed about her pairing decisions for the book, Potterheads around the globe turned--as the British would say---bonkers. I honestly did not keep track on the pairings as I read the books. I simply enjoyed the adventures the golden trio had. The love stories (or quarrels) they were experiencing were just bonuses for me. If you ask me who I ship in the Harry Potter series, then it would be most definitely be James and Lily. And if you want to know what's my say on the whole, "Hermione should've been with Harry" issue, then here it goes. 

Well, I agree with Rowling. Harry and Hermione seems more idyllic compared to Hermione and Ron.  I actually enjoyed the times when Hermione would help Ron with his school work troubles because it was proof that they don't completely hate each other. Realistically, Ronmione will not be able to work out. If you've read the book or at least watched the movies, you would be able to notice Ron's fatal flaw which is jealousy. And when he's jealous, he tends to throw fits. Furthermore, he covers it up with his manly pride and it is evident whenever he argues with Hermione in the first few books. In case you still haven't noticed, he also harbored jealousy towards Hermione and not just Harry (note: most people will most likely focus on the jealousy he feels towards Harry because of "chosen one" issues, if you know what I mean). I mean, she nailed almost every class and she tends to correct Ron all the time. And apparently, Ron is not and won't get used to being corrected considering the initial development he had in the beginning of the story (ex. always being bossed around by his older brothers, and all). Furthermore, he showed another jealousy tantrum in the last book. He may have calmed down till the end, but there's no guarantee if he was able to get rid of that fatal flaw or not (fatal flaws are just terrible habits that are hard to break). So if he managed to swallow his pride and envy, then that's great. But if he didn't? I can hear shifting of divorce papers in the future. And signs of their attraction or infatuation was somehow a surprise. For me, I'd like to know how one falls in love with the other and the series didn't show how they became officially attracted to one another. They were just arguing and arguing until the next thing you know, they already have feelings for each other. I'm sure there were scenes where they were getting along, but I wished there were more of those, that way I was able to see how they would be like as a couple. I think that's what the ship lacked, I guess. 

Harry and Hermione do get along better, but I'm not sure what Rowling meant when she said she preferred Hermione with Harry. If it was her initial plan for Harry and Hermione to happen, then I guess she could have changed their interactions in the books a little bit differently for the sake of a little chemistry. As friends, they are great together. They support each other and when they have a disagreement, the scene becomes adorable (especially when Hermione educates Harry about girls). So yeah, I have to admit, they have the potential of becoming a great canon. However, my only issue is that it would be too little predictable if they do end up together. Harry is the leading man and Hermione is the leading lady, and it would be too obvious if they do become a thing. 

Personally, I think Krum would make a better match for Hermione. He admired her just as she was.  He didn't have to deny it or anything. It was straightforward but different. Plus, she somehow supported him and maybe (just maybe) brought out the best in him. In the book, he was always at the library of Hogwarts. I guess that made him feel a bit lonely. Luckily for him, Hermione enjoyed going to the library and that's how they got to connect and develop. 

So once again, if you don't agree with me, then it is more than fine. The following post is just a series of my thoughts and opinions regarding, OTPs, ships, and canons. It is not my intention to persuade all of you to agree to my words. Anyway, I hope this post was engaging and I'll see you in the next post! 


 

No comments :

Post a Comment