Wednesday, January 6, 2016

New Yolk Times: Thoughts on SUPERGIRL



Hey! I decided to create a brand new segment on this blog New Yolk Times. It's what I would normally call a writer's block moment, or when I need to express my thoughts on something. It's my own breather from everything I've been doing on this blog lately. And today, I would like to talk about Supergirl. My original plan was to express my own opinions about the midseason parts of my current TV shows namely Supergirl, The Flash, and Arrow. Supergirl, however, returned earlier than expected. And of course, I am excited for it, but the timing for this blog now seems delayed. However, I'd still like to express what I really think about the show as a whole. This is not a critique of any sort, just a page full of opinions.

Supergirl as most of you know, was a brand new television show based on DC characters. The story talks about the origins of Kara Zor-El, who is the cousin of Superman, as a brand new superhero in a cape called Supergirl. And yes, you can expect the storyline to adjust to a much more modern setting. Not only that, there are random cliches that you may also find in any Superman medium anywhere such as the fact that Kara wears a petty disguise, works for a media company, and her having her own version of Lex Luthor (Maxwell Lord).





Tumblr
Also, the way the show was marketed was very different from Arrow and The Flash. If it wasn't obvious to some, this show was aimed to attract a female audience and possibly to a younger demographic. Because this show does not take too much risks. Everything about the plot is pretty basic, although there are many mysteries in this show as well. I find the storyline okay, actually. To me, this story is almost like Supergirl's portfolio and she shows us how she eventually started out. Most of the plots in each episode are random and they are all meant to contribute to Kara's growth as a character, so the main conflict only perks up whenever the writers think it is necessary. Supergirl is perceived as this inexperienced alien that not everyone believes in and I can see her really struggle as she proves to everyone that she is capable of handling random disasters including her own. Not only that, I was able to feel her struggle. I don't know if it is just me, but the feeling of not being able to get anything right is something I can really relate to so I was able to understand Supergirl at some point when she voices out how she wants to become better. The way she deals with people viewing her as another Superman copy cat is also great and the way media tries to build her image is just as interesting. The involvement of the media was able to give the show a little substance. I even like the appearance of Martian Manhunter, which was so epic and probably obvious for some comic book fans who watch the show religiously like I do. The special effects may not seem too realistic, but at the same time it is does not look very fake. So most of it was pretty appealing to the eyes.

However, I'm not feeling the romance subplot for this. I mean, the unrequited love is possibly the most viewed topic on any medium right now but I think it is so overused especially in Supergirl. It is unrequited love times two! When I was watching these scenes I was hoping they would step it up a bit and possibly move away from this kind of direction because it is cliched. Furthermore, there were many casting news for a new love interest for Kara, and I just can't help but shake my head because why??? But after watching this episode, my hopes were lifted up slightly I guess. Because I like how it emphasizes the friendship James, Kara, and Winn have instead of the complicated romantic feelings they have. Hopefully, the show keeps this up because it works...at least for me.

Another thing I'm not sure of is the acting, it gets a little wooden and forced at times. But I can feel them stepping up their game in each episode. They attempt to make the characters better, as well as the story and thats something I appreciate. Cat Grant is surprisingly an okay character because the direction they took with her is interesting. The moment I saw her entering the room with such energy, I honestly had no idea what kind of role she was going to have in a superhero show. I was expecting her to be this boss who is always breathing on your neck for more productivity but I'm glad they steered away from that and made her a mentor for Kara instead. The friends of Kara, namely James and Winn are fine. I like their characters so far because I think they are starting to get better. Maxwell Lord, however, is a very convincing villain. Although his face immediately tells you that he is up to no good, but he still keeps you on your toes when it comes to his hidden agenda. And I think the show is only giving us just fragments of what he is up to, on purpose. On the other hand, I am still figuring out Astra's character because I can't establish if she's on a certain side or not. In other words, I am not very sure with what her motives are at the moment. Alex, who is the sister of Kara, is my least favorite because I still think her acting still needs a bit more work. However, I think she is still a likeable character and the way gave her significance in the show was okay.

Ultimately, I think Supergirl passes up as an okay character. I get that she is still starting as a superhero, and that's what she delivers in the story. She's new at being this superhero and she learns that it is not easy as it looks, even if you have immense power. Her acting can get wooden at times, and it slightly bothers me how they made her character as another Awkward-adorable person archetype. I have nothing against these kinds of people, it just that it bothers me that DC TV is just copying what Arrow did over and over. For some reason, awkward bubbly characters are a thing and it has even gotten Arrow itself to repeat these things when it comes to creating new faces (ex. Ray Palmer, Barry Allen, Patty Spivot, and Curtis Holt). Kara here is being slightly Felicity Smoak, especially when the show gets a little comical and romantic at the same time. I just hope this trend will eventually die out and writers will be inspired to make another impressive character in the future. Apart from that, I like Kara as a person. She has this light in her that you cannot really despise, and she really does act like there are times she doesn't know any better and I thought it fit Melissa Benoist very well. I still can't get over the fact that her hair remains perfect every time she has a fight scene. I need to know what kind of Aloe Vera Kryptonians have.

Mostly, I found the show okay. It does not really keep me on the edge of my seat but I can tell the show is trying really hard in grabbing anyone's attention by giving slight reveals of some known DC characters. This series even gives you some sort of teasers in the end of each episode, the same way The Flash does. It is also a very innocent show, which is why I understand the formula they are going with. I think they should tone down on some subplots, particularly the love triangle because it is a distraction. And for a very PG-show, I think it's done clean. The acting could get better and I'm hoping that it does. Luckily, I feel like the show slowly gets better each episode. What I'm looking forward to this show, is for a moment where Kara really breaks. This will probably happen at the end of the season, but I'd like to see what would happen when Kara is at her lowest point or better yet, when she truly loses something important (a death scene perhaps?). I haven't seen her truly emotionally destroyed, and I'm dying to see what it looks like and how it is going to be handled. Another thing I'd like to see is what they intend to do with Astra, because her motives are not that clear and I would like to see that eventually. Generally, I can imagine kids of all ages enjoying this along with their families. Whilst watching the series so far, I can most definitely feel the self-empowerment it tries to show, and it is my favorite part of this very simple story of an emerging heroine; the lessons you learn here are nothing like the, "believe in yourself" kind, rather it tells you specifically little by little how to empower yourself. Now, this is something I believe they should continue, in case Supergirl is granted with more seasons because I think this is what gives the show its spice. Not the fight scenes, not the cheesiness in the love triangle, and the random DC characters, but the things you can learn from Kara Zor-El. I hope everyone who is looking down on this series for being too generic or possibly weak because of certain things, would see this show in this kind of perspective. It's not my way of persuading you to see it because it is DC or whatever, but because everything they show about what self-empowerment is like, is pretty good and I think these lessons are really good for children to hear.

Tech Times
And that is it. Feel free to discuss about what you feel about this show on Disqus below, and I will see you soon for my next TV show thoughts. Till the next post~

Current Segments on this blog:
The Scrambler's List --> Top Ten Studio Ghibli Films


No comments :

Post a Comment