Thursday, March 26, 2015

Fangirl Ego: Things Fangirl Students Should Never Do!


It is normal to fangirl urges when you become a student. I mean, as young (foolish) folks, students need some inspiration or entertainment while subjects and deadlines try to mess up their minds. Trust me, I've been there. I know the feeling when a book I read is much more exciting than the book report (but don't get me wrong, I enjoyed many reading assignments back in my day). Even if the "Fangirl Ego" (which I would like to call) seems like a very powerful entity that somehow controls every inch of your body and free will, that doesn't mean there are no limitations. Of course there are, and as humans we need to put extra effort into stopping our fandoms from completely ruining our lives. Yes, it is not the intention of the Doctor to ruin your life. The only person who gets in our way is us; our Fangirl Ego. The question is, how do we stop it?

Now these steps do not guarantee success. Consider them as suggestions that you may attempt to do. Always remember that fighting the Fangirl Ego is never easy.

1.) Never personalize your school stuff!
It may seem like the most fun part to look forward to when you prepare for school, but believe me...it will ruin your life. If all your stuff has the face of Tom Hiddleston, then kiss your concentration goodbye! Also, school materials don't last forever. You end up throwing them away or they deteriorate on their own and at their own time. So it is pretty much a waste of cut-out magazines and effort, as well as money. No offense. If you must personalize your school things, I suggest to stick to minimal fandom references (such as a logo) and make all the color schemes and design show your personality. But if you must have something to stare at while you need some motivation in studying, then a a few photos inside your binder won't hurt. Actually, make that one.

2.) Never touch anything fandom-related during busy periods!
When you have an exam or a pile of major projects to finish...then put away those series and books. I'm sorry, but the only way to get rid of Fangirl Ego (even if it is just for a very short while) is to keep that girl in the closet alongside all your guilty pleasures. I know a lot of people who nearly did not graduate because of fandoms. Yes, those situations exist, especially if you're the type who lacks self-control. If you do need a substance of some self-control pill, then I suggest to consider keeping them away for a short period. Then once all your responsibilities are dealt with, then you can binge watch or read to your heart's content.

3.) Never expect everyone to understand you!
Each fandom contains a whole new set of extensive vocabulary. Eventually you will adapt it and only 1 out of 10 people will be able to comprehend what you are trying to say. You can't expect the muggles to keep up with your thang.

4.) Never assume that conversion is easy!
Everyone has their own different tastes, and chances of you having similar interests (or fandoms, in our case) with the classmate next to you is one in a million. However, it is not bad to share to them what you like. But you cannot expect them to have an interest, right away. Converting a fellow person into a certain fandom is a hit or miss; either they like it or they don't. It would seem exciting when someone develops a liking to your all-time favorite shows, but you can't expect something like this to happen all the time. Unless, you are really persuasive.

5.) Never hide your fandoms from anyone!
Come as you are. The third tip may imply that you should not reveal your fandoms to class, but that is not the case. In fact, let anyone know what you like. Do not shame your fandoms, because it looks weird to other mundanes. Let them judge! It will not kill you! Back in high school, I would initially hide my obsession for anime from basically, everyone. I did that because I wanted to look pleasing and hopefully, appealing.  However, that gave me a hard time to look for friends I can totally relate to. When I brought out my interests, then bam! I got new friends just like that. So don't keep them in the dark. Never keep your fandoms to yourself. It's more fun and exciting with a good friend who can understand all your feels.

Till the next post~


No comments :

Post a Comment