Friday, January 22, 2016

New Yolk Times: Thoughts on DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW



Welcome back to the series countdown and I am down with one last TV series. It is one of the most highly anticipated ones in my book, and that is DC's Legends of Tomorrow. This is CW's spin-off series with the supporting characters from Arrow and The Flash, as the chosen ones to travel back in time to stop Vandal Savage from completely destroying the world.


SuperheroHype
This series has gotten a lot of good teasers and I became genuinely excited for this simply because of the concept and the characters involved in the story. There isn't much revealed about the plot, aside from the fact it involves time travel and Vandal Savage, and after watching the first episode... everything began to make sense. We finally understand why Rip Hunter needed them, and why he is so hellbent on this mission. 

I gotta say, this series went off with a very good start. The introduction had a sci-fi/comic book feel to it, which awakened the geekiness inside of me. The beginning reminded me so much of Batman: Assault on Arkham. It had almost the same intro for their characters and almost the same kind of music score. 

Let's talk about the mysterious Rip Hunter for a bit. Rip Hunter was a great character and he kind of deceived me. My first assumption for this whole thing was that it was going to be about a very holistic mission to save the world, and I kind of bought that because that's what the trailer kind of showed. But then, it is revealed that Rip Hunter has a personal vendetta against him, and the way they reveal that layer of his character wasn't really completely mind-blowing. But it definitely struck a chord in me. Arthur Davill's performance was so great and I was kind of glad that his character has a little more depth than I expected. That scene where he told his story was so strong, that you can't help but feel something. And that's good dialogue and acting on Arthur Davill's part. 

The pilot episode really took me by surprise. Like I said earlier, it started with a really epic intro but then it took a very emotional turn where the main characters suddenly didn't feel so sure about what they were doing. They were overpowered by the thought that they were just a group of people and all of them felt like they haven't done any special. And I thought it fit really well for them because they started off as supporting characters from their main shows, so they didn't matter as much. This sentiment was expressed in a very good pace as the characters contemplate on their decisions throughout the entire episode. Ray Palmer was a surprise for me in this one. I liked how he was able to express how insignificant he felt, and I gotta admit...that was kind of true for his case in the third season of Arrow. I had no idea he had that in him and it was interesting for me to see him express that, especially to Oliver. 

Then we have the questionable choices for the team, which are the White Canary, Captain Cold, and Heatwave. Call me a fangirl, but their fight scene at the bar was pretty awesome. That moment resonated with their characters so well, and their motives for the mission also made sense. I'm giving a round of applause to Mick Mory as Heatwave! We get to see a few more sides from him other than a maniacal arsonist. From "I love fire!" he says, "I love the seventies!" Hahaha! I don't know, but I'm really glad that I'm getting to see more of him finally. My favorite line of his was when Leonard asks him why they were thieves and Mick directly answers, "Because we hate working but we love money." It was a snappy comeback and I like it. He gets more dialogue and it turns out, he's got a personality folks. Whoa! That was ground-breaking moment for me when he actually side comments and helps out at times. Perhaps he is not completely as bad as anyone thought. 

Sara, on the other hand, was still a bit questionable for me. For one thing, the Sara I saw here was completely different from the one I saw in Arrow (and I'm referring to season 4, not 2 or 3 ). Caity Lotz did mention in an interview that she was going to be very different in this spin-off series. Sara's character here is no longer afraid of committing anymore mistakes because she's literally been through hell. Nonetheless, this change in character was pretty drastic for my taste. It is so strange to see her suddenly letting loose of herself. It kind of makes sense because of what she had to go through and now she feels like has nothing left to lose, but at the same time it doesn't considering the bloodlust issue that she has. I was expecting her to have a bit more of restraint because of her fear of getting out of control like Thea. But what the heck, maybe the Lazarus Pit side effects aren't so linear after all. So I'm gonna let this slide, Sara. 

Other than that, I think the rest of the show was pretty cool. Not bad for a pilot episode, because it is even engaging. Yeah, you can get past the little acting issues, because the story is good. I don't see anything bad about it as of now, since it is the first episode. The movement of the show wasn't forced, either. The motives behind their actions makes sense for their characters. They're all like, "Hey! We're all potential badass people and we didn't get enough credit in our main shows for that. This is our chance to show the world that we are awesome. So I say let's continue this series!"

Do I recommend this to you, even if you haven't seen Arrow and The Flash? Of course. The storyline is very independent from them so you won't have a problem catching up. And the characters are also interesting. A mixture of heroes and villains in one squad. Basically, Avengers meets Suicide Squad. And if you're into that kind of stuff, then this series is for you. I cannot wait for more of this and what other time travel moments they are going to have because most of the teasers and trailers simply revealed the first episode. So now I'm very curious about what the next episodes are going to be like, and how it's going to end. Good job, CW. I cannot wait for more. 

That concludes my series countdown on New Yolk Times. Anticipate for more in the next few months, I guess whenever I feel like it. For the next few posts, anticipate for more Anime reviews and possibly and Egg Tray that is long overdue. Till the next post~


No comments :

Post a Comment