Monday, November 2, 2015

The Egg Tray: All the Bright Places, Supergirl, Adult Coloring Books, and More!


It's been such a long time since I've written my last egg tray post. So I think it's time for you to know, what I've been into the past few months. So brace yourselves, it's going to jumbo-packed.

Movies and TV


Unfortunately, I haven't been very active in the cinemas lately. I was only able to watch one movie and it is called Blue Is the Warmest Color and it is a French film directed by Abdellatif Kechiche. The story is just really simple. It's about a girl named Adele (Adele Exarchopoulos) who just discovered that she is a lesbian and forms an intimate relationship with Lea Seydoux's character (sorry I forgot her name). That's it. I cannot say much because the plot is very simple and revealing too much will probably involve spoilers. Although I have to warn you, the movie is really long for a slice of life drama. It is three hours long. So the story line will sometimes become dragging because everything in this movie can get nitty gritty because every scene is detailed. From the dinner scenes to the dramatic ones, there's not a single pass through. This film took so much time with its montages and what is going on in these girls' lives. Plus the acting is very superb. I give kudos to this film for having the most realistic setting, from the make-up of the actresses to the transitions of each scene. Everything is not very glamorized and it looks like a story of a person that you would normally see everyday. It's a really nice, but a sad film. It ends on a very low note, though. And I'm kinda expecting a sequel for this.



Another film that I saw was in my Spanish Elective class and it is entitled, All About My Mother. It is directed by one of the most famous directors, Pedro Almodóvar. The story begins when Manuela (Cecilia Roth)'s son dies in a car accident on the night of his birthday. Her son's birthday wish was to meet his father, whom Manuela never wanted to mention. However, Manuela decides to search for him in the place they met, which was in Barcelona. Then it is revealed that Manuela was not some bland motherly character. She actually had a very interesting past. It took a very long time for her to find the boy's father, but in between, you will be able to see Manuela reconnecting to her past, which involves another world of theater and transvestites. I honestly did not expect this film to be that good, and I was totally invested in it. The following films that I watched have similar elements, and I recommend this to anyone who's willing to know more about the LGBT community. 



I'm also hooked with two series, lately. The first is an anime which I made a blog about, it is entitled Baccano! And it is centered on the incident that happened in the transcontinental train, the Flying Pussyfoot.  The episodes explained how the events came to be and how they were related and knotted into the present timeline. It's not just your typical mystery thriller, because it also involves supernatural themes. It has been my guilty pleasure for a week, and I loved all the characters in it. They were random and unique. Plus the soundtrack is great. 



And last not but not the least, there is a brand new DC TV show called Supergirl, which was shown last week! Although it is too soon to say this, but I loved the first episode. I like how it is taking on this "Girl Power" vibe, making it much more different from the existing DC TV show. Also I've been a fan of Melissa Benoist since Glee and I cannot wait to see more of her in this show. I think she played her character, Kara, very well. So far, the plot tells us that even though Kara knew that she was a Kryptonian, she hasn't bothered using her special abilities and tried to lay low for a very long time. Then disaster strikes, and she decides to use her powers to save the people she loves from further danger. That was just the beginning, because her new problem was that the prison facility her mother handled was also destroyed and the villains wanting Kara's mother's head went to Earth to satisfy their vengeance by trying to target Kara. Now it is up to Kara to stop these guys and put them back to prison. It's a bit similar to Flash, so I'm curious to see how this series will turn out. But again, I really liked the first episode. So I cannot wait for more. 

Games & Apps


It's been a while since I've done an Otome game, so I browsed through the Play Store till I discovered this sucker. It's called Midnight Cinderella. The story is kinda like The Selection series. Your character accidentally finds herself included in a small competition where they select the next ruler of the kingdom, and for no reason, your character gets chosen. To make matters even more interesting, your character needs to select a groom to rule with and that's where your suitors will come in. 

There are more than five suitors and once you pick one, your story officially begins. You can also change your suitor in the middle of the story, as well. And like all Otome Games, your play time will be limited. In this case, I can only access the games five times using five Chapter Tickets. Once I run out of Chapter Tickets, I either have to wait for the next day or purchase one. I also can customize my character's appearance and make actual friends with other people playing the game. Also there will be instances where I have to pick what my character has to do next, which will greatly affect the ending I have with my suitor. 


This Otome game will also feature bonuses, prices, and many opportunities to glamorize your account. And every month, there will be special side story events which you can participate with other suitors in the game and not just with the one you selected for the main story. It's quite a productive game, so I think you won't get very bored with it because of the many gifts you will receive each day. On top, you can see that I selected King Byron, the ruler of my rival kingdom, as my main suitor the story. So yeah, you can imagine how intense my nonexistent love life is. 



The art in this game is fantastic. Plus I love how the narration of this game is so fluid and detailed. It feels like reading from a romantic novel, but with actual pictures of attractive looking men dominating your phone screen. This app is for free in the Play Store and the Apple Store, so if you're looking for an unrealistic romance and a man that will fit your ridiculously high standards, then you might as well try installing an Otome game. Particularly this one. 


This game is recommended by CutiePieMarzia on Youtube. It is called Zombuster and I believe this game is designed by her brother. The game is very easy; all you have to do shoot the zombies and not shoot the people. For me, this game is perfect whenever  I need to pass the time between classes or when I am just bored out of my mind. Also if you accumulate a good enough score, you can change your shooting avatar. Currently, my shooting avatar is a Jedi and there are a few more available in the shop. So yeah, install this game and it will change your life. 

Books


Of course, I had the time to read! The first one is entitled All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. For a very long time, a classmate of mine in college has been recommending this book to me. I also discovered this book in a book list that I saw in a Candy Mag online article. This is the very first YA novel of Jennifer Niven, but it is written very well. It's a boy meets girl story, but the most interesting thing about their relationship is that it tackles a very serious issue in our society today; mental illness. Both deal with depression and anxiety in their own way, and I think Niven was able to display what depression is really like and was able to explain why it's something that needs to be treated like any other physical sickness. This possibly the first slice of life novel that I read, where I am convinced that the characters were almost real. They weren't glamorized, the writer did not bother to explain how someone is attractive or ugly. Niven was just able to fill in what was happening with very emotional details. It's a book where you do not fangirl about how hot the main guy is, but it's a book where you actually discuss what happened and why it happened. This story was definitely written from the heart, so it was able to touch me. Many say it's the new John Green, but I think it's a book that is barely comparable to his work. However, if you're a fan of him or even Jay Asher, then this book is definitely for you. It will hit you right in the feels, in a way that you can never imagine.


The only way for me to get over the series of Percy Jackson was not to read Rick Riordan's new series, but to read a brand new fantasy series. Ironically, I discovered this title in Rick Riordan's list of book recommendations. The book is called Magisterium: The Iron Trial and it is a book collaboration between one of my favorite YA writers, Cassandra Clare, and Holly Black. The story is everything that you would expect in a Middle Grade fantasy series. A boy who refuses to be a part of something mystical and special, him getting himself into a Golden Trio, they struggle with magic together, and they also deal with bullies and other puberty issues. However, knowing Clare, I knew there was something big going to happen in this book and there was (unless the big reveal was Holly Black's idea, I will never know). Also, I like the chemistry the main character has with his friends. They formed a great Golden Trio bond, that I never encountered that much in any fandom before. Their friendship is so cute and beautiful that it makes me cry. Also the plot twist drove me nuts, so I decided to get the sequel. The verdict? Well, there are many cliches, but you will still enjoy them. I mean, the most amazing thing about Fantasy novels will always be about the setting. The world told in every fantasy novel will still follow the same formula, but the world will still be new and exciting to you. And the world of the Magisterium is definitely beyond exciting. That plot twist will make you pee in your pants. It's amazing. Read it. I mean it. Go. Seriously. Plus it features a character who has the exact name as me. So yeah. Go read it. It has a good story too. 

Beauty and other stuff



Believe it or not, I'm a girl so I like girly things including cosmetics. For the first time in my life, I bought a red lipsticks. You know you're entering adulthood, when you decide to get yourself the bold statement shade of lipstick. And it is the Auto Lip Crayon from Yadah, a South Korean Brand (because for some reason, I trust South Koreans and their expertise in make-up and anything that involves the word, "beauty"). It is in the color "Dazzling Red" and it is well, a dazzling red. It has a matte formula, which I normally do not like because of my dry lips. But this matte lipstick works really well. Either because I've been starting to take care of myself lately, or it just has a really good matte finish. It doesn't really dry your lips and it is also very long-lasting. Actually, maybe it is a bit too long-lasting because even after hours of going out, the color will still stick unless I forcibly remove it with a damp cloth. It also really good for people who are on a budget and still want to look like a random celebrity. Don't limit yourself, they have four more shades. 

Weirdly enough, I've been enjoying using this black pencil. What's so special about it, you ask? Well...it's just a pencil. That is completely black from head to toe. I don't know with you guys, but I have this huge thing for anything that is stationery. So when I see some cute pen or notebook, I know I just have to get it. And this was one of them. Also, I did not regret this purchase--even if it is just a pencil that is a black color-- because it is really cheap. It will not exceed ten pesos, which probably only a few scents in American dollars. It even looks really good with my Lego Journal, which is color black as well. And it smells good. Yeah, my taste in stationery is something nobody can understand. 

    
  

Yup, you guessed it. I entered the Adult Coloring Book craze, as well. Let's just say my mom got into it, so she encouraged me to try it out because she knew how stressed out I was with life, recently. The ultimate dilemma in this craze is to pick which coloring book would suit me the most. So it took me some time to decide which stuff I wouldn't mind putting a bit color into. Also, the sketches in these books are fantastic. It kinda made me not want to color some pictures and I nearly convinced myself that the only therapy I needed was to stare at a couple of some old intricate sketches of buildings and cupcakes. If you decided to buy an adult coloring book, then there is no worry. It may be or may not worth your money, since they are pretty pricey. But if you think coloring is fun, then you are more than welcome to try one out, especially if you a whole lot of vacant hours on your plate. Also, coloring does take your mind off things. Because your mind will be occupied on thoughts about which color you are going to use next. To make myself even more relaxed, I would accompany my coloring session with a bit of music from Spotify

And that is it for my Egg tray! I told you it would be very long. And there are many other favorites that I wasn't able to mention, but I will save it till the next Egg Tray post. If you made it this far to reading, first of all thanks and I will see you till the next post~



2 comments :

  1. Your article is extremely good.I love to read your blog's posts everyday and I got huge help from your blog and developed a new app spotify you can check.Thanks for amazing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried this new app Sea Battle 2 Mod Apk : this is really great.

    ReplyDelete