Friday, November 14, 2014

10 Disney Films that We Need to See Again

During the past week, Disney has made it huge with its most recent animated film, "Big Hero 6" (which I haven't watched yet, so keep the spoilers to the minimum). And obviously, we get the same results. So much love and emotional overload has been expressed for this film and for Baymax, and it made the inhabitants of the internet go, "asdfghjkl". With that, I congratulate Disney for making a film that has even impressed my aspiring animating friends. 

I am proud to say that I grew up with Disney films. As I got older, I realized that maybe the childlike wonder in humans hasn't completely disappeared yet. If the person next to you now has seen Wreck It Ralph a dozen of times, then I am sure you are reading this right now and you have seen Frozen for more than twenty times and know all the lyrics to songs (except to Fixer Upper, I guess). But if you are reading this and you're one of those people arguing that Frozen was not that great of a movie and it was not the most progressive Disney film of all time, then either way, welcome to my blog. And no worries, I will not be talking about how annoying Elsa or Anna was to you. I'm here to talk about something related to Disney films.

What I'm trying to say is that if most of us are willing to see these Disney films for many times, then let's consider the old Disney films that we probably only seen once or maybe a few times. Despite its lack of popularity, these films have most of the Disney elements intact. They're also pretty heartwarming, meaningful, amusing in every way. And these films, in my opinion, deserve as much attention as the past three films we have so far. You can call them "underrated", but at the same time they're not because some were probably popular during their time so they're now considered forgotten in a way. Since the holidays are fast approaching, here are ten Disney films that we need to watch again!

Wikipedia

1.) Atlantis: The Lost Empire

After this film, I began to wonder why Kida was never considered a Disney Princess in the first place. But apart from that, this is a film worth watching all over again. Aside from the fact that it is adapted from one of the most mysterious legends of all time, the art is beyond amazing. What created a huge impact to me, though was Atlantis itself. Everything from the livelihood to the power of their crystals... I just have two words: pure genius. 

disney.wikia.com

2.) Dumbo

Now this is the very first heartwarming Disney Film I have ever seen. The story of an elephant with big ears may seem boring to you, but this film showed how loving these creatures can actually be. 


Dumbo's love for his mother is definitely moving and it is the only thing that kept me watching. I have to admit, just remembering the tune to "Baby Mine" never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

Wikipedia

3.) Meet the Robinsons

The general idea that you get from this is that it is a movie that values family. But when I saw this, it was more than that. Heck, I'm starting to think that it was never the central theme. For me, this film is about empowering yourself. Keep moving forward, Walt Disney says! But really, this is a film that everyone should see; and I'm not pointing to a niche, I'm pointing to everyone. Because I'm sure anyone can relate to Lewis at some point. There are times you just feel worthless and that giving up seemed like the only best solution. But in this film, Disney constantly reminds us to keep moving forward. In the end, you will not only get what you always dreamed of, but you will get something better than that.

disney.wikia.com

4.) The Princess and the Frog

This film had a fabulous setting for a very very simple fairy tale. And hey! This is the first Disney Princess film, wherein the Prince has a sexy accent! Also, all of the characters are equally interesting. Do not get me started with Tiana. She can be a great role model for little girls everywhere. She takes initiative, she perseveres, and is very ambitious. Everything you want in an empowered woman.
impawards.com

5.) Treasure Planet

Simply because Joseph Gordon Levitt voiced Jim Hawkins. Haha, just kidding. The story is as awesome as JGL, I can certainly tell you that. This is the first time Disney has revolved the story around such a father-and-son-like bond. Now that's pretty touching since in this movie, Jim grew up without his dad. You can considered John Silver as one of the first anti-heroes of Disney, if you're into that kind of stuff. Let's not forget the love story between Captain Amelia and Doctor Doppler. See? Love between cats and dogs are possible! And you have to admit...the designs of the ships and machines (including the map to treasure planet) are awesome.

6.) Pocahontas

Again, this film has gained some popularity thanks to this internet meme.
www.funnyjunk.com
Apart from that, Pocahontas has this serenity and class that makes her completely different from the rest of the Disney Princesses. She may seem like some nature freak to most people, but she's just a woman with no prejudice and sees things the way they are. This film also talks about serious issues (war, civil unrest, racial discrimination, environmental issues, world peace, life paths, etc.).

impawards.com

7.) A Bug's Life 

The only thing I remember from this brilliant Pixar film is their concept of leadership. Showing this through a colony of ants, which are well-organized insects, was a fantastic idea! This movie has a heavy emphasis on discrimination, since ants are below most insects and what better way of showing the value of believing in yourself than through a bunch of creatures that you can easily squash? It's a powerful movie with a powerful message. The art and concept for the settings are beyond innovative. 

8.) The Black Cauldron

The adventure of this story has grabbed me. Everything was so bright and dark, all at the same time. I honestly forgot most of the events in this film, but friendships made in this film were beautiful. I'm not surprised though if you haven't heard of this, yet. So if you haven't seen this, I highly encourage you to give this a try. It's filled with mystery, friendship, unicorns, darkness, and rainbows!

movieposter.com

9.) Oliver and Company

Again, an adventure of a homeless kitten and a gang of dogs may not spark your interests, but this is a movie that can bring back the good vibes. The songs are catchy, and the dogs can be funny if they want to. If kittens and dogs don't make you happy, then you need to see a doctor immediately. 

10.) Brother Bear 

Phil Collins. That's all I can say. 


No comments :

Post a Comment