Saturday, January 16, 2016

New Yolk Times: Thoughts on THE FLASH



There are only a few days left till The Flash Season 2 returns on screen and I am beyond excited. Although, it irritates me that it returns the same time I go back to class. Also I got to warn you that there will be spoilers in this post. 

Anyway, The Flash season 2 is no longer this cute season where they capture random metahumans here and there. In the last episode of the first season, Barry had to stop this huge wormhole developing in the sky, but his heroic efforts caused a gateway to another parallel universe. And the metahumans from this other Earth are also dangerous and all of them seemed to be after the Flash. Turns out, the one who's sending these random metahumans to Barry is known as Zoom and he is another dangerous speedster that the Flash has yet to defeat. So the series revolves around the mystery on why Zoom is so hellbent on killing the Flash and on who he is. 




This season is just as good as the first season, only it has an even more serious plot. In spite of serious topics and failures being inserted to the storyline, the series still has its light tone. The parallel universe--a.k.a. "Earth 2"-- is so cool. I sound like a little kid when I say this, but everything about it is so awesome. I give thanks to the dialogue for making time travel and parallel universes look really enticing and worth listening to. The characters in this series are basically nerds who are extremely passionate about science, and the actors are able to show that very well. Therefore, understanding the concepts are not as difficult nor challenging.

www.ibtimes.co.uk
Barry, as the main character, changes and he is no longer this young man who got excited over his powers. He now understands the risks and is even more mature about it. He even now has this slight trauma about losing his comrades and repeating the same mistakes, which is what I liked about Barry's character development. He is suddenly afraid of what he can do because he can now see that even people he can trust can take advantage of him that easily and it actually takes time for him to trust now. 

www.comicbookmovie.com
If the masked vigilantes of Arrow have a bad image to Star City, the Flash has a much more positive image. For me, I felt like I was watching the old classic Spiderman again where everyone holds an event in the hero's honor and people make trends and merchandise about him. In short, the Flash is very much respected in Central City which is a very interesting contrast. 

Another thing I appreciate about this show was that it was able to improve more. The romance subplot, thankfully, has been toned down but it is more direct. There are no love triangles or unrequited love nonsense, unlike the last season. Patty Spivot is a good love interest for Barry and I love how simple their romance is. However, I get the strong feeling they are not going to last for a while, because the writers might consider putting Iris and Barry together since they're the main couple. If they do, hopefully they will not force it considering the history these two had in the first season. So I think it should be taken slowly. 

As usual, the action scenes are fantastic and the plot devices. Zoom as the main villain is terrifying and threatening. He is making every viewer question who he is, even if they have read the comics! I like the scene where he beaten up the Flash and zoomed around Central City with Barry on one hand, showing off to everyone that he is stronger and he can defeat anyone who can get in his way. And if you are just a netizen in Central City, that is just scary. Because someone stronger than the fastest man alive is someone who can take you down in an instant and he wanted to make sure everyone understood that. Now that was super cool on his part. Dr. Harrison Wells returns to the show as another Dr. Wells from Earth 2. I think I like his character even more than the original Wells. He is stingy, mean, and brooding. I also like how he has a history that we can understand, and we can really see how the past events affects his present actions. His interaction with the other characters can be amusing and sometimes genuinely cute. Tom Cavanagh gives yet another great performance as another version of his character and I laughed when he pretended to be the original Wells. It felt so real and it was funny, because he had a hard time doing it. I thought it was the best scene of the entire series so far. 

Another new character that we've all been waiting for is Jay Garrick, and he was also good in the series. We don't get to see him much, but when he does, we can immediately perceive that he has an interesting story to tell and we want to know what that story is. All we know is, that he is known as The Flash in Earth 2 and he clearly failed. It is written all over his face and I like that about Jay. 

The Flash also has given us another crossover story before the year ended, and it was engaging to watch still because the origin of Hawkgirl was well written in my opinion. I love Kendra's character, but sometimes she and her origin story would give off a Young Adult fiction vibe (haha) to me. I mean, she's just an ordinary girl who turns out to be not so ordinary after all. And she's got a line of suitors waiting for her. Which part of her life, was not so YA? Even Carter, who is known as Hawkman, reminds me of a lot of guys you would read in Teen Fiction. Dark, Tall, Handsome, Mysterious, and Protective. Definitely YA at some point. 

There are many things I am looking forward to the next half. One would be the appearance of Killer Frost and Deathstorm. I'd like to see how they act and what they are going to be doing in future episodes. We also got an appearance of Wally West from the last episode, and I personally cannot wait for his development. And finally, I can't wait to see who Zoom really is and I want to know where that is going to lead next. The second season of The Flash is doing really well, and I am most definitely looking forward to it. Next week, I will be blogging about my thoughts of Arrow Season 4. But for now, till the next post~



No comments :

Post a Comment